Functional life skills
We want to help your child reach their full potential by helping them to be confident in independent daily living.
The Functional Life Skills program teaches children and young adults to properly care for themselves.
They learn living skills such as how to cook simple meals, do laundry, and other responsibilities necessary for independence.
Individuals learn and practice personal hygiene. We work on developing independence by following verbal and written directions and by building communication skills. We offer ongoing parent and caregiver training to support the child’s progress.
Practiced skill sets
- Functional skills assessment
- Emphasis on naturalistic teaching techniques
- Self-care skills including personal hygiene
- Living skills including laundry, meal preparation, dishes
- Developing independence by following verbal and written directions, building communication skills
- Independent leisure tasks like games, puzzles, reading books
- Ongoing parent and caregiver training to support the child’s progress